Ships in 1-2 business days | Based in Biddeford, Maine | Est. 2010
Day in, day out: this is the pack for the longest trails
Born from and for the most transformative journeys, the Unbound 40 is built to go above and beyond the rigors of thru hiking.
There is simply no better way to measure the effectiveness of a pack design than to send it out on thru hikes. Over the course of 2,000+ miles and an average of five to six months, day in, day out, loaded and unloaded, jostled and dragged, and exposed to the elements, one of these long walks is going to tell you the truth. So, that’s what Hyperlite Mountain Gear went after, and the Unbound 40 is the honest to goodness result. Every carefully considered feature fought for its right to remain, leaving only the essentials required for an efficient, comfortable, adaptable, and dependable travel companion.
Thru hiking is hard enough. Let the Unbound 40 carry some of the weight.
- Internal Frame + Padded Removable Hip Belt.
- Roll-Top closure system with removable side compression straps for customizable compression
- Top Y-strap compression - Designed to secure gear
- Large dual-entry front pocket provides significant storage as well as streamlined access to smaller items (i.e. tent stakes)
- Oversized Side Pockets for streamlined access to water bottles and other gear on the go
- Updated removable hip belt provides more cushion and the ability to customize your pack fit
- Integrated plastic sheet with 1/4" high-density foam back panel pad
- Four 1/4" vertical daisy chains for attaching extra gear for trip-specific customization, in addition to a horizontal daisy chain below dual-entry front pocket
- Seam tape on all vertical side seams and behind all sewn-on pack features
- Volume: 49L (total capacity)
- Main Body: 40L
- External Pockets: 9L
- Dimensions: 32.5"H x 10"W
- Circumference: 35”
- Frame: 1 removable aluminum stay, plastic sheet, 1/4" high-density foam
- Hipbelt: Padded removable with pockets
- Recommended Maximum Load Capacity: Up to 40 lbs
- Small: 15”-17” torso
- Medium: 17”-19” torso
- Large: 19”-21” torso
- Tall: 21"+ torso
Weight: 30.1oz (average weight based on size medium)
- Body: DCH50 & DCH150
- Side Pockets: Hardline with Dyneema®
- Front & Bottom Pockets: Dyneema® Stretch Mesh
- Shoulder Straps & Hipbelt: Hardline with Dyneema®, dual-density 1/8" closed cell rigid foam, 1/4" closed cell foam, and spacer mesh
Made in Mexico
Ideal for: Long distance backpacking & thru hiking, any environment