Ships in 1-2 business days | Based in Berkeley, CA | Est. 2010
The SplitWing is SlingFin's most minimal shelter for people whose top priority is achieving the lowest weight possible without compromising weather coverage. Designed with thru-hikes and FKTs in mind, the SplitWing and its modular accessories are adaptable to the wide range of conditions that are likely to be encountered on a 4-month-plus adventure.
This bundle includes the SplitWing Tarp, SplitWing Mesh Body, and Removable Vestibule. It's one of the lightest, most versatile shelters around, and with the full system you can optimize it for any of the conditions you're likely to encounter on an extended thru-hike.
When used on its own, the SplitWing is palatial for one and cozy for two. A pair of hardcore UL hikers (or very close friends) will appreciate sharing a shelter that packs down to the size of a grapefruit and weighs less than two packs of ramen per person. At 7.9oz without the 6 included DAC j-stakes (10.3oz all-in), the SplitWing Tarp is damn light. Strategically-placed reinforcements made of SlingFin's Expedition Series fly fabric keep the SplitWing in one piece when conditions get gnarly.
Unlike most shaped tarps, the SplitWing can be pitched with the front trekking pole anywhere between 105cm-120cm thanks to its front "wings", allowing you to prioritize floor area and storm protection with a low pitch, or provide generous headroom when pitched high. It's closed at the foot end to reduce drafts and increase weather protection.
For added protection, use the vestibule (included with the bundle), which covers the front opening of the tarp, providing 360-degree coverage, perfect for those who are looking for the light weight of a minimal tarp shelter but would rather not give up the comfort and security of a tent.
Add the SplitWing Mesh Body (also included with the bundle) and you'll have all the protection, versatility, and coziness of a double-wall tent but at a scant 21oz trail weight.
- Front pole can be pitched from 105cm-120cm
- Can be optimized for headroom or width
- Apex guy points allow the tarp to be set up between two trees
- Reinforcement panels at high-stress areas
- Enclosed foot area provides more shelter from wind and rain than open tarps
- 9 perimeter stakeout loops
- 2 side guyout points
- Front guylines with clips for easy entry/exit
- Front wings provide storm coverage while pitching taught at a range of heights
- Mesh body now has a tub floor and pitches better under the tarp (longer webbing attachments means more separation between tarp and mesh)
- Tarp now has adjustable stake loops
- New coating has higher tear strength with better seam slippage
- Mesh body
- Removable Vestibule
- 6 DAC j-stakes
- Stuff sack
*SplitWing Floor sold separately HERE.
- Capacity: 1-2 person
- Floor Dimensions: 90" L x 60"-72" (head, depending on pitch height) / 36" (foot)
- Floor Area w/mesh body: 24.8 sq ft + 6.8 sq ft vestibule
- Interior Height (tarp): 41"-47" (head), 24" (foot)
- Interior Height (body): 37"
- Packed size: 11" x 5"
- Pole setup: 2 poles (not included), 105-120cm
Weight: 21oz (trail), 24oz (packed)
- Tarp & Vestibule Fabric: 10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil
- Reinforcement & Mesh Body Floor Fabric: 20D Nylon Ripstop PE 1800
- Mesh Body Canopy Fabric: 15D Nylon No-See-Um Mesh